certMILS: Compositional security certification for medium- to high-assurance COTS-based systems in environments with emerging threats (EU, Horizon 2020)
certMILS is a five year project that started on January 1, 2017 and will be coordinated by Technikon. It aims to protect critical infrastructure against cyber-attacks by compositional security certification and delivers a certified MILS platform, for the first time in Europe.
The major objectives of certMILS are:
- Transfer know-how in compositional safety certification to security certification
- Make certification of composed systems affordable
- Preservation of certified assurance throughout operational deployment
- Involvement of all stakeholders in different industry domains
- Certified European MILS platform
- Develop and apply compositional certification methodology on three industrial pilots
- MILS Platform Protection Profile
- Guidelines and templates for MILS certification
certMILS increases the economic efficiency and European competitiveness of Cyber-physical systems (CPS) development, while demonstrating the effectiveness of safety & security certification of composable systems.
The project employs a security-by-design concept originating from the avionics industry: Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS), which targets controlled information flow and resource usage amongst software applications. certMILS reduces certification complexity, promotes re-use, and enables secure updates to CPS throughout its lifecycle by providing certified separation of applications.
The project involves the following partners: Elektrotechnický zkušební ústav, Epoche & Espri, NXP Semiconductors, Schneider Electric España, Thales Austria, UniControls, Uni Rostock
For more information, please go to certmils.eu